Prepare to take your meatloaf experience to new heights with this extraordinary bacon wrapped smoked meatloaf recipe. This delectable twist on the classic dish infuses it with a mouthwatering combination of savory bacon and a delightful smoky flavor. Even if you consider yourself a cooking novice, fret not, for we are here to walk you through each step of the process, ensuring you create a show-stopping meatloaf that will have your friends and family clamoring for seconds.
The beauty of this bacon-wrapped smoked meatloaf lies in its simplicity and yet, the explosion of flavors it delivers. Imagine sinking your teeth into tender, seasoned meat that’s wrapped snugly in thick-cut bacon, its crispiness contrasting perfectly with the juicy meat inside. But that’s not all! To further elevate this dish, we’ll be slow-cooking it in a smoker, allowing the wood chips’ aromatic essence to infuse the meatloaf, creating an unforgettable smoky depth that tantalizes the taste buds.
Why You Will Love Bacon Wrapped Smoked Meatloaf Recipe?
You will love the Bacon Wrapped Smoked Meatloaf recipe for its irresistible combination of flavors. The smoky aroma from the grill enhances the rich, savory meatloaf, while the bacon wrapping adds a deliciously crispy and indulgent touch. Each bite brings together the perfect blend of textures and tastes, making it a mouthwatering and satisfying dish. This recipe offers a unique twist on the classic meatloaf, elevating it to a whole new level of deliciousness that will leave you craving for more.
Ingredients Required Bacon Wrapped Smoked Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 pound (450g) ground beef
- 1 pound (450g) ground pork
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 10-12 slices of thick-cut bacon
- Wood chips for smoking (e.g., hickory, applewood, mesquite)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Additional seasonings to taste (e.g., onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper)
Note: These quantities are for a standard-sized meatloaf, and you can adjust the amounts depending on the number of servings you wish to prepare. Additionally, feel free to customize the seasonings and glaze according to your taste preferences. Now that you have the ingredients, it’s time to roll up your sleeves and start crafting your delectable Bacon-Wrapped Smoked Meatloaf!
|Also read: chris lilly pork injection recipe
How To Prepare Bacon Wrapped Smoked Meatloaf Recipe
Step 1: Prepare the Meatloaf Mixture
- In a large bowl, combine 1 pound of ground beef and 1 pound of ground pork.
- Add 1 cup of breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup of finely chopped onions, and 2 minced garlic cloves.
- Crack in 2 large eggs to bind the mixture.
- Season with 1 teaspoon each of dried thyme, dried rosemary, paprika, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the meatloaf, ensuring they are thoroughly and completely mixed together until a cohesive and well-combined mixture is achieved.
Step 2: Shape the Meatloaf
- Take the meatloaf mixture and shape it into a loaf shape on a baking sheet or a cutting board. Shape the meatloaf mixture into a rectangular form measuring approximately 9×5 inches to ensure even cooking and consistent size.
Step 3: Wrap with Bacon
- Lay 10-12 slices of thick-cut bacon horizontally over the meatloaf, making sure to cover the entire loaf.
- Tuck the ends of the bacon underneath the meatloaf to secure them in place.
Step 4: Preheat the Smoker
- Preheat your smoker to around 225°F (107°C). You can use wood chips like hickory, applewood, or mesquite for a smoky flavor.
Step 5: Smoke the Meatloaf
- Place the bacon-wrapped meatloaf directly on the smoker’s grate and close the lid.
- Let it smoke for about 2 to 2.5 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C). This slow cooking process infuses the meatloaf with a delightful smoky taste.
Step 6: Prepare the Glaze
- While the meatloaf is smoking, mix together the glaze by combining 1/2 cup of ketchup, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl. Stir well until the sugar dissolves.
Step 7: Apply the Glaze
After the meatloaf has smoked for about 1.5 hours, brush a generous amount of the glaze over the bacon-wrapped meatloaf’s surface.
Repeat this step every 30 minutes until the meatloaf is fully cooked.
Step 8: Rest and Slice
Once the internal temperature of the meatloaf reaches 160°F (71°C), carefully remove it from the smoker.
Let it rest for about 10 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute before slicing.
Step 9: Serve and Enjoy
Slice the bacon-wrapped smoked meatloaf into thick, juicy slices.
Serve it alongside your favorite sites like mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, or a fresh salad.
Now, sit back, savor the incredible flavors, and enjoy the compliments as your friends and family indulge in this scrumptious Bacon-Wrapped Smoked Meatloaf.
|Also read: Sous Vide Flank Steak Serious Eats
How Long to Smoke a Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
Smoking a bacon-wrapped meatloaf typically takes around 2 to 2.5 hours, but the exact cooking time can vary depending on several factors, including the size and thickness of the meatloaf, the temperature of your smoker, and the ambient conditions.
To ensure your bacon-wrapped meatloaf is cooked to perfection, it’s essential to monitor its internal temperature. The target internal temperature for the meatloaf is 160°F (71°C). You can use a meat thermometer to check the temperature at the center of the meatloaf during the smoking process.
Here are some general guidelines for smoking a bacon-wrapped meatloaf:
- Preheat your smoker to a temperature of about 225-250°F (107-121°C).
- Place the bacon-wrapped meatloaf directly on the smoker grates.
- Smoke the meatloaf for approximately 2 to 2.5 hours, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C).
- Optionally, you can baste the meatloaf with a glaze or barbecue sauce during the last 30 minutes of cooking for added flavor.
With this easy-to-follow recipe, you can create an impressive bacon-wrapped smoked meatloaf that will be a hit at any gathering. The tender meat, wrapped in bacon and infused with smoky goodness, will have your guests raving about your cooking skills. So, fire up that smoker, follow these steps, and get ready to enjoy the deliciousness of bacon-wrapped smoked meatloaf with your loved ones. It’s a fantastic dish that brings joy and flavor to any mealtime!