In today’s fast-paced world, it’s not always easy to find the time to prepare a delicious and hearty meal. That’s where the crockpot comes to the rescue. One dish that’s sure to please your taste buds and simplify your life is Crockpot Beef Tips with Brown Gravy Mix.
This slow-cooked wonder combines tender beef tips with the rich flavors of brown gravy for a meal that’s both convenient and mouthwatering. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through the entire process, from gathering the ingredients to serving up a delightful dish. So, let’s get started!
Ingredients: Crockpot Beef Tips with Brown Gravy Mix
Before we dive into the preparation, let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll need to make this delectable Crockpot Beef Tips with Brown Gravy Mix:
For the Beef Tips:
- 2 pounds of beef stew meat or sirloin tips, cubed
- 1 packet of brown gravy mix
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil for searing
For the Gravy Mix:
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1 packet of brown gravy mix
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of red wine (optional for added depth of flavor)
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
For Thickening (optional):
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of water
Now that we’ve gathered our ingredients, it’s time to move on to the equipment you’ll need.
Equipment Required in Crockpot Beef Tips with Brown Gravy Mix Recipe
Cooking this Crockpot Beef Tips with Brown Gravy Mix recipe is a breeze when you have the right tools at your disposal. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Crockpot Cooker: A slow cooker is the star of this recipe. It allows for low and slow cooking, which is perfect for tenderizing the beef and letting the flavors meld together. Make sure your crockpot is clean and ready to go.
- Large Skillet: You’ll need a large skillet for searing the beef tips before they go into the crockpot. A cast-iron skillet is one of the excellent choices for this step.
- Cutting Board and Knife: For chopping the onion and mincing the garlic.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: Precise measurements ensure the perfect balance of flavors.
- Whisk: To mix the brown gravy mix and other ingredients for the gravy.
Now that we have our ingredients and equipment lined up let’s move on to the preparation of this mouthwatering dish.
|Also Read: Monsieur Cuisine Smart Przepisy
Preparation Techniques To Apply For Crockpot Beef with Brown Gravy Mix
Step 1: Preparing the Beef
Start by trimming the excess fat from the beef stew meat or sirloin tips. You want to cut the beef into bite-sized pieces, approximately 1-inch cubes. This ensures that the beef cooks evenly and becomes fork-tender.
Step 2: Preparing the Brown Gravy Mix
In a bowl, prepare the brown gravy mix by combining the packet with 2 cups of beef broth, 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup of red wine (if using), 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, as well as 1 teaspoon of dried thyme. Whisk these ingredients together that is until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
Step 3: Seasoning and Marinating the Beef
Season the beef cubes with 1 teaspoon of salt as well as 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. These simple seasonings will enhance the natural flavors of the beef. Next, place the beef in a large resealable plastic bag or a bowl and pour half of the prepared brown gravy mixture over it.
Seal the bag or cover the bowl along with refrigerate the beef to marinate for at least 30 minutes. Marinating allows the meat to absorb the flavors of the gravy mix, resulting in a more flavorful dish.
With the beef marinating, it’s time to move on to the crockpot cooking process.
Step 1: Searing the Beef
Before transferring the beef to the crockpot, it’s a good idea to sear it to lock in those flavors. In a large skillet, along with heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
Once the oil is hot, start adding the marinated beef cubes, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Sear the beef on all sides until it develops a rich, golden-brown crust. This step adds depth and color to the final dish.
Step 2: Layering in the Crockpot
Now that your beef is beautifully seared, it’s time to set up the crockpot. Place the chopped onion as well as minced garlic in the bottom of your crockpot. Then, layer the seared beef on top of the onions and garlic.
Pour the remaining brown gravy mixture over the beef. If you want to add any additional ingredients like vegetables, this is the time to do it. Carrots, mushrooms, and potatoes are all great choices.
Step 3: Slow Cooking Magic
Set your crockpot to the desired cooking time and temperature. For most crockpots, cooking on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours is recommended.
The long, slow cooking process will transform the beef into tender, melt-in-your-mouth perfection. During this time, the flavors will meld together beautifully, creating a rich and savory gravy.
Remember to check the beef periodically to ensure it doesn’t overcook. You’ll know it’s done when the meat is fork-tender, and the gravy has thickened to your liking.
Step 4: Optional Thickening
If you find that the gravy hasn’t thickened to your desired consistency, you can make a simple cornstarch slurry to thicken it. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of cornstarch as well as 2 tablespoons of water until smooth. Slowly pour this mixture into the crockpot and stir. Allow the gravy to simmer for a few more minutes to thicken further.
Serving and Presentation For Crockpot Beef Tips with Brown Gravy Mix
Your Crockpot Beef Tips with Brown Gravy Mix are ready to be served! Here are some tips for presenting this delicious dish:
- Spoon the beef tips and gravy onto a serving platter or individual plates.
- You can garnish that is with fresh chopped parsley or chives for a pop of color.
- Serve the beef tips over mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles for a complete meal.
Variations and Customization
One of the great things about this recipe is its versatility. Here are some ideas for customizing it to suit your preferences:
- Vegetarian/Vegan: You can make a vegetarian or vegan version of this dish by using plant-based protein alternatives such as seitan or tofu and vegetable broth instead of beef broth.
- Spice it Up: Start adding a pinch of red pepper flakes (or you can use a dash of hot sauce if you prefer a spicier dish).
- Add Veggies: Experiment with different vegetables like bell peppers, carrots, or mushrooms to add extra flavor and nutrition.
Tips and Troubleshooting
Here are some additional tips to ensure your Crockpot Beef Tips with Brown Gravy Mix turn out perfectly:
- Choose a well-marbled cut of beef for the best flavor and tenderness.
- Don’t skip the searing step; it adds depth of flavor to the dish.
- If the gravy is too thin, continue simmering uncovered in the crockpot to reduce it further.
- If the gravy is too thick, simply add a little more broth (or you can use water to achieve the desired consistency).
Cooking a hearty and delicious meal doesn’t have to be a time-consuming endeavor. With Crockpot Beef Tips with Brown Gravy Mix, you can enjoy the convenience of slow cooking and the satisfaction of a flavorful, tender dish.
So, gather your ingredients, fire up your crockpot, and savor the mouthwatering results of this delightful recipe. Whether it’s a weekday dinner or a weekend treat, this dish is sure to become a favorite in your household. Give it a try, and let your taste buds rejoice in the savory goodness of Crockpot Beef Tips with Brown Gravy Mix.