Jalapeno poppers are a delicious and spicy treat that many people enjoy as a snack or appetizer. Traditionally, they are deep-fried, which can make them a bit heavy on the calories and not the healthiest option. But fear not! You can still enjoy the delightful crunch and cheesy goodness of jalapeno poppers with a much healthier twist by using an air fryer. In this easy-to-follow guide, We will show how long to cook jalapeno poppers in an air fryer, ensuring they achieve the ideal blend of crispy and creamy textures. Before we jump into the mai topic of this blog let us see the ingredients and process.
Ingredients You’ll Need For Jalapeno Poppers In Air Fryer
Before we get into the cooking process, let’s gather the ingredients you’ll need:
- 6-8 fresh jalapeno peppers
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs or panko
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Cooking spray (for the air fryer basket)
Preparing the Jalapeno Poppers:
- Start by washing the jalapeno peppers thoroughly. Cut off the tops and slice them in half lengthwise.
- Carefully employ a teaspoon to delicately extract the seeds and membranes from each jalapeno half. This step helps reduce the heat level for those who prefer milder poppers.
- In a mixing bowl, mix all together the softened cream cheese and onion powder, shredded cheddar cheese, garlic powder, black pepper and paprika, salt. Mix until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Fill each jalapeno half with the cream cheese mixture. You can use a spoon or your fingers to do this.
- Once all the jalapeno halves are filled, prepare a breading station. Place the beaten eggs in one bowl and the breadcrumbs or panko in another.
Cooking in the Air Fryer:
Now comes the exciting part – cooking your jalapeno poppers in the air fryer. Follow these steps for crispy perfection:
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C) for about 3-5 minutes.
- While the air fryer is preheating, gently dip each filled jalapeno popper into the beaten eggs, ensuring it’s well coated.
- After dipping in the eggs, roll each popper in the breadcrumbs or panko, making sure they are evenly coated. This coating will give your poppers that satisfying crunch.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Place the coated jalapeno poppers in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Make sure they are not touching or overlapping to ensure even cooking.
- Cook the poppers in the preheated air fryer for about 8-10 minutes. You’ll want to check them halfway through and, if necessary, shake the basket gently to ensure even cooking.
- The cooking time may vary depending on your specific air fryer model, so keep an eye on them. You’ll know they’re done when the poppers are golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Carefully remove the jalapeno poppers from the air fryer using tongs or a spatula. They’ll be hot, so be cautious.
Serving and Enjoying:
Your air-fried jalapeno poppers are now ready to be devoured! Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce, such as ranch dressing or a cool cucumber yogurt sauce, to balance out the heat.
Tips for the Perfect Air-Fried Jalapeno Poppers
- Adjust the cooking time: Depending on your air fryer’s size and wattage, you may need to adjust the cooking time slightly. Keep an eye on them to prevent overcooking.
- Experiment with fillings: Get creative with your cream cheese mixture. You can add cooked bacon bits, chopped scallions, or even a dash of hot sauce for an extra kick.
- Customize the heat level: If you prefer your poppers extra spicy, leave some seeds and membranes in the jalapeno halves. For a milder version, remove them all.
How Long to Cook Jalapeno Poppers in an Air Fryer
To cook jalapeno poppers in an air fryer, preheat it to 375°F (190°C) for 3-5 minutes. After dipping the poppers in beaten eggs and rolling them in breadcrumbs, place them in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook for 8-10 minutes, checking and shaking the basket halfway through to ensure even cooking. Cooking times may vary based on your air fryer model. When they’re golden brown and crispy, carefully remove and serve your delicious jalapeno poppers with your favorite dipping sauce for a delightful snack or appetizer.
Air frying jalapeno poppers is a healthier and equally delicious alternative to deep frying. With the right ingredients, a bit of prep work, and some patience, you can enjoy these tasty treats in no time. Remember that the key to the perfect jalapeno popper lies in the balance between the creamy filling and the crispy coating. So, go ahead and fire up your air fryer to enjoy this spicy, cheesy delight guilt-free!